Free Spray Parks for Kids in Dallas Area Help Beat the Heat
For more information and special deals related to any of the issues on this page, place your cursor over the double-underlined links. All information supplied by Kontera.com.
If it’s summer, its going to be hot weather in Dallas, so why not find some free, cool places to bring the kids this summer — Dallas has eight different free spray ground parks scattered around the Metroplex and other cities have followed their lead so there are many places to cool off in the Dallas area and they are safe for young ones — typically the free spray parks have fountains that shoot up out of the ground, waterfalls, and water coming sideways out of big pipes, making it safe for all the kiddos. All parks are open Saturday/Sunday 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. and weekday hours vary at the parks.
DALLAS Open through Sept. 6. 214-670-1923 or 214-670-8847. www.dallasparks.org.
• Campbell Green, 6600 Parkhill Drive. Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Tuesdays and Fridays 2 to 8 p.m.
• Danieldale, 300 W. Wheatland Road. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays through Sundays 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Mondays and Thursdays 2 to 8 p.m.
• Ferguson, 1919 Gross Road. Daily 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Mildred Dunn, 3322 Reed Lane. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays through Sundays 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Mondays and Thursdays 2 to 8 p.m.
• Pemberton Hill, 6424 Elam Road. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays through Sundays 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Mondays and Thursdays 2 to 8 p.m.
• Ridgewood, 6818 Fisher Road. When the weather becomes just too hot in the summer (and it will), take your kids to a different kind of playground. The free Spray Park at the Ridgewood-Belcher Recreation Center is a fun place for all ages to cool off. Water shoots up out of the ground and streams from poles and spouts. The water is no deeper than a puddle on the ground, so it is safe for little ones who don’t yet swim. Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Tuesdays and Fridays 2 to 8 p.m.
• Umphress, 7616 Umphress Road. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays through Sundays
ALLEN Open through Oct. 31. 214-509-4700. www.allenparks.org.
• Celebration Park, 701 Angel Parkway. Celebration Park is a super-sized space that includes soccer and baseball fields, restrooms and concession areas, a large multi-sport court, a playground and spray ground complex, horseshoe and washer courts, picnic areas, and hike and bike trail trails. The “kidMania” playground and spray ground is geared for kids ages two to 12 years old. Open seasonally, the spray ground hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily – except Wednesdays, when it closes for routine maintenance.
ARLINGTON All open through Sept. 6. Daily
10 a.m. to 8 p.m. 817-459-5473. www.naturallyfun.org.
• Brantley Hinshaw Park, 2121 Overbrook Drive.
• California Lane Park, 2001 California Lane.
• Don Misenhimer Park, 201 E. Lonesome Dove Trail.
FRISCO Bi Centennial becomes the third park in Frisco to have a spray ground feature located within the park. Other parks featuring spray grounds include JR Newman Park, located at 8211 Twin Falls Drive and Shepherds Glen, located at 12012 Shepherds Hill Drive. The spray parks are all free to the public and are open every day from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day.Open through Sept. 6. Daily 10 a.m. to
8 p.m. 972-292-6500. www.friscofun.org.
• Bicentennial Park (located near Frisco Commons Park), 9349 Sunset Drive.
• J.R. Newman Park, 8211 Twin Falls Drive.
• Shepherds Glen Park, 12012 Shepherds Hill Drive, near Rolater and Coit roads.
McKINNEY Open at least through Labor Day, closing when the weather changes, usually in late October. Daily 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Ash Woods Park, Horizon Park, Inspiration Park and John M. Whisenant Park will switch to after-school hours after McKinney schools are back in session. 972-547-7480. www.mckinneytexas.org.
• Ash Woods Park, 10310 John F. Kennedy Blvd. (shared parking with Mooneyham Elementary).
• Aviator Park, 1201 Monticello Drive.
• Finch Park, 301 W. Standifer.
• Horizon Park, 401 Flatrock Drive.
• Inspiration Park, 4212 Shawnee Drive.
• John M. Whisenant Park, 3701 Hudson Crossing (shared parking with Elliot Elementary).
ROCKWALL Open at least through Labor Day, closing when the weather changes. 972-771-7740. www.rockwall.com/parks.
• Harry Myers Park, 815 E. Washington. Daily 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.