Ice-cream lovers, rejoice! Americans prefer to eat ice cream during summertime, with nearly half of us reaching for ice cream two to three times a week during warm-weather months! Millions will definitely be scooping up ice cream deals on National Ice Cream Day 2016, which this year falls on Sunday, July 17, which is a holiday declared by then-President Ronald Reagan in 1984, that caps a month of celebration of the popular snack and dessert. Americans eat more ice cream than anyone else, and Reagan called on his countrymen to celebrate with “appropriate ceremonies and activities” in July. The U.S. consumes 18.4 liters of ice cream per person per year, and to celebrate this excellent creamy delight, restaurants and ice cream chains across the country have deals on offer — from free upgrades, to coupons and even free servings of ice cream. Most chains have had special offers since the beginning of the month, but those who have not yet milked the opportunity need not fret. The celebration hits its peak on Sunday.
Here are some Dallas area offers you could check out:
- Atlanta-based Carvel is offering a serving of free soft-serve ice cream for every cup or cone of soft-serve ice cream you buy.
- Dairy Queen is offering a buy one get one free cup or cone to members of it’s Blizzard Fan Club. Sign up here. Members also get $3 off 8″-10″ Blizzard cake or buy one get one free Blizzard treat for their birthday.
- When you visit Baskin-Robbins on July 17, you can get a free waffle cone upgrade (normally 89 cents). You can also help support a good cause: Baskin-Robbins will donate 75 cents from every ice cream float sold that day to the USO in honor of its 75th anniversary. Also, on July 31, Baskin Robbins will be selling cones for $1.31 and sundaes for $3.31.
- Unilever Ice Cream — which includes Breyers, Good Humor, Klondike, Magmun and the Popsicle — launched 17 new varieties across their ice cream portfolio this year
- Blue Bell has no freebies but has launched a new flavor to celebrate National Ice Cream month Cookie two step is a creamy vanilla ice cream with hints of brown sugar, combined with chocolate cream-filled cookies and chocolate chip cookie dough pieces, according to the company’s website.
- Friendly’s is celebrating National Ice Cream Day all summer long with Friendly’s “Sprinklefest.” Now through Labor Day, you can get a single scoop cone for $1.99 (it’s usually $2.89) and a double scoop cone for $2.99 (it’s usually $3.99).
- Marble Slab Creamery — Buy an ice cream cone on July 17th until 1pm and get another one free at participating locations.
- Good Times Restaurants are giving away free doggie ice cream all month long, including on National Ice Cream Day. The Pawbender is vanilla custard and doggie biscuits, topped with a peanut butter drizzle. It’s normally $1.25.
- Cold Stone Creamery is offering members of it’s eClub in order to receive a coupon for a BOGO cup or cone. Sign up here. Members also get a buy one get one free coupon for their birthday.
- Sub Zero Ice Cream’s National Ice Cream Day offer starts early and is available July 15-17. You can enjoy a free waffle bowl upgrade, which would normally cost you between 75 cents and $2 (depending on the size), with purchase at the more than 55 Sub Zero Ice Cream locations nationwide.
- Cumberland Farms is offering a new line of ice cream sandwiches and will give them out free to any customer who orders a 20oz Pepsi or Mountain Dew drink.
- Uber is offering to deliver ice cream to your doorstep free of cost all day Friday in 400 select cities across the world.
- Tastee Freeze is offering a buy one get one free banana splits deal with this coupon through July 31.
- Pet-supplies retailer PetSmart is offering free Doggie Ice Cream Sundaes at all PetSmart PetsHotel locations on Sunday.
You can also learn the history of ice cream from Vermont-based Ben & Jerry’s with these 10 true facts.