The 2011 Free Deep Ellum Arts Festival® in Dallas exemplifies everything that makes this area rock. The biggest weekend of the year for the Deep Ellum Entertainment District, this three-day, free-to-attend outdoor “street party” features over 120 decorative and visual artists selling original works, over 90 original bands, singer/songwriters and performance artists showcasing the newest sights and sounds from 5 stages, including the all new Texas Blues Stage, PegasusNews Stage, Texas Singer/Songwriter Stage, ArtLoveMagic Artists Alley and Art Bar. Other attractions include the renowned Pet Parade (Sunday at 12:00 noon), fabulous food, beer, wine and coctails, and much, much more! This is an adult-oriented visual and performing arts festival – while supervised young children and teenagers are welcome, there are no planned activities for them.
2011 Festival Dates & Times:
Friday, April 1, 2011 5:00pm to 10:00pm
Saturday, April 2, 2011 11:00am to 10:00pm
Sunday, April 3, 2011 11:00am to 7:00pm
Admittance to the festival is free.
- Located in Dallas’ Deep Ellum Entertainment District on Main Street between Good Latimer and Hall St. Click Here to view a full map and driving directions.
- Over 120 decorative and visual artists juried in from around the country will be have their distinctive one-of-a-kind works on display. Festival attendees can stroll through displays of cutting-edge decorative arts and admire, commission, and purchase the art of sculptors, muralists, jewelers, painters, and fine artists; some of whom will be creating pieces on the spot.
- More than 90 original bands and singer/songwriters will perform from four separate outdoor entertainment stages. Keeping pace with the newest sounds of the music industry and reflecting Deep Ellum’s exploding new music scene all stages will be rocking simultaneously with an eclectic mix of genres, including Dallas’ favorite fusion rock, southern soul, and “genre-breaking” bands.
- PegasusNews Stage, keeping pace with the ever-evolving music scene in North Texas, will showcase an eclectic mix of genres including Rock, Funk, Jazz and Experimental
- The Dallas Observer Stage, presented by Texas Best Productions, will feature a masterful collection of local groups; a mix of Texas Blues, Southern Rock, Rockabilly, and good old fashioned Blues.
- The Singer/Songwriter Stage features local songwriters performing their own original live music, hosted by Lori Dreir, “A Girl & A Guitar “
- The ArtLoveMagic Artists Alley, where art comes ALIVE! Watch painters turn blank canvases into works of art right before you eyes. Created by local art & performance collective, ArtLoveMagic, this area will feature multiple live painting platforms, acoustic musicians, spoken word poetry and an interactive arts area where YOU can roll up your sleeves and join in the creativity.
- 2011 Featured Artists Jashua, Jerod and Issac Davies, known collectively as the Davies Brothers, invite you to view a large body of their work and experience their creative vision at the festival’s “Art Bar” (2821 Main Street), an eclectic adult-oriented performance space featuring murals, live art, bodypainting, spoken word, acoustic performance, dance, and more. Cocktails will be available and you must be 21 or older to enter. The talented and accomplished Davies Brothers, operating under their creative arts company, Three of One, have received commissions locally from DART and the City of Dallas and have work in private collections around the world.
- Street Performers by the Circus Freaks are engaging and exciting variety of performers who entertain with a mix of theatricality, daredevil foolishness and big top talent. You will find their jugglers, stilt walkers and other whimsical characters roaming the festival throughout the weekend.
- Sunday’s annual Deep Ellum Pet Parade: Hundreds of pet owners are invited to take their “Best Friends” on a tail-wagging promenade down Main Street. Register to be eligible for prizes at the Deep Ellum Bark Park starting Sunday at 11:00am, or join in as the parade starts at 12:00 noon or anywhere along the way into the festival. Awards and pet related activities will take place near the intersection of Main Street and Malcolm X. In order to enhance the festival for everyone, well trained dogs are welcome to the festival on Sunday only throughout the day.New this year, “Taste of Deep Ellum“. Signature Deep Ellum restaurants will create a Deep Ellum Village within the festival. Local restaurants will be selling samples of their most popular dishes accompanied by Deep Ellum artists and musicians displaying their works and performing the newest original sounds coming out of the neighborhood.
- Festive cuisine, including Mexican, Caribbean, Mediterranean, Asian, American, specialty desserts and other festival favorites will be available, plus beer, wine, and sodas. In support of festival vendors, no coolers please.
- Don’t worry about parking! Take the DART’s new Green Line to the festival. The festival is only a short two-block walk from both the Deep Ellum and Baylor Stations.